AP English and History Instructor
We are looking for a part-time AP English and History instructional coach.
Our fundamental belief at Freudigman & Billings is that children learn best in the context of supportive relationships. We are committed to helping our students better understand how they learn and how they can take ownership of that learning. Our team provides educational solutions for middle and high school students through individual assessment, personally tailored learning programs, and one-on-one instruction.
Instructional coaches at F&B provide holistic academic support for high school students across a variety of educational domains. The work is as rewarding as it is challenging as we help students navigate some of the more meaningful steps forward in their education. The ideal candidate will have some experience working with middle or high school students and teaching relevant content, and should possess excellent communication and executive functioning skills. Our instructors are empathetic and exercise a flexible mindset.
- Contribute intellectually and creatively to the instructional team in order to cultivate a trusting, honest, and respectful environment for students that promotes educational and emotional success.
- Work one-on-one with students to execute academic plans on an agreed upon timelines across a variety of educational domains, including subject specific instruction for middle and high school coursework, academic skill building, and executive functioning support.
- Assist in administrative duties directly and indirectly applicable to provision of student services including curriculum and materials preparation, tracking of student compliance, student progress and student outcomes, participating in case reviews, staff trainings and staff meetings, and maintaining session case notes.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Prior experience teaching AP Literature and Composition, AP Language and Composition, AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP European History, AP Human Geography, AP US Government and Politics, AP US History, or AP World History
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail, strong observation skills, and the charisma to build professional relationships with adolescents
- Ability to identify teachable moments and flexibly pivot to help students succeed
- High emotional intelligence and empathy
- Interest and engagement with youth culture in order to connect with students as a broader mentor and not just an educator
- Ability to pass a background check
- Five to ten hours of availability within the following time frames:
- weekdays between 3pm and 9pm
- weekends between 11am and 7:30pm
- All work is performed in our center in Westport, CT
- Hourly rate based on experience