Our fundamental belief at Freudigman & Billings is that children learn best in the context of supportive relationships. We are committed to helping students better understand how they learn and how they can take ownership of that learning. Our team provides educational solutions for adolescents and children through individual assessment, personally tailored learning programs, and one-on-one coaching.
Educational Therapy provides individualized instruction for children and adolescents experiencing learning challenges. While a regular subject tutor focuses on teaching specific academic subject matter, Educational Therapists apply specialized training in learning differences and disabilities to address more systemic issues affecting an individual student’s academic performance.
Our Educational Therapy process is a unique and highly efficacious tutoring model in which students acquire the skill sets, self-knowledge, and resiliency they need to overcome future challenges and successfully launch themselves into their chosen career. We utilize the student’s own daily schoolwork to remediate academic concerns related to psychological/motivational barriers, ADHD, executive functioning concerns, reading and language disabilities, math-related deficits, and auditory and visual processing weaknesses. Because every student has different concerns, sessions may range from skill-based remediation to social and behavioral supports. We form supportive relationships and communicate–not just with the student but also with all the people in the community involved in their educational development.
The ideal candidate possesses an inherent curiosity about the process of developing individualized educational plans while remaining flexible. An Educational Therapist is coachable and open to criticism, acknowledging that Educational Therapy is a practice, not a job. The ability to coach and mentor to improve a student’s self esteem and emotional health is as, if not more, important as strength with content provision. That said, applicants must be confident navigating math and science curriculum at the high school level. Impeccable organizational skills, the ability to think critically, and appropriate professional judgment are necessary qualities to excel in this position.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Report to the Assistant Director and Director of Educational Therapy
· Work alongside colleagues and attend client-specific case review meetings in order to generate and execute specific plans for each student
· Evaluate students to determine their educational and psychological profiles, remediating students with profile-specific interventions to improve their functioning both inside and outside of the classroom
· Cultivate a trusting, honest, and respectful environment that promotes educational and emotional success
· Collaborate with colleagues, such as a student’s Subject Tutor or Test Prep Tutor, to ensure coordinated service provision
· Assist the Director with the development of Educational Therapy curriculum and other special projects
· Maintain confidentiality and security of client information
· Charisma and confidence
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
· Attention to detail, strong observation skills and precise reporting abilities
· Ability to adapt and identify teachable moments
· High emotional intelligence and empathy
· Self-motivated and driven to help students succeed
· Aptitude for building relationships with students and colleagues
· Capable of instructing high school level subjects including Algebra I & II, Geometry, Chemistry, and Biology in order to teach study skills
· Ability to thrive and be decisive in a fast-paced environment
· Engagement with youth culture in order to connect with students as a mentor and not just an educator
· Ability to pass a background check
· Reliable transportation
· Weekday availability between 12:30pm and 9pm, and Sunday availability from 11am to 7pm
· Background in teaching or coaching in an educational setting
· Prior tutoring experience
· All work is performed in the office in Westport, CT
· Reports to the Assistant Director and Director of Educational Therapy
· Based on experience